Table of Contents
Editing the Content of The FYE Calendar View Page
Unlike many of the other features of the FYE website, the content of the FYE Calendar View page (WCMS Path: /WRAP_SDDU/BL-OEM-FYE/fye.indiana.edu/programs-events/calendar-view) cannot be edited directly using the WCMS. The Calendar View page uses an
Adding Calendar Events
Avoid using Internet Explorer for Updating Your Calendar
When updating your OneStart calendar, do not use Microsoft Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer is not optimized for the OneStart calendar program.
Instead, IU Communications recommends that you use
- Open OneStart
- You should now see your personal OneStart calendar. To switch to the proper FYE shared group calendar, click the link labeled options, located on the right side of the gray toolbar labeled My Calendar, next to links labeled add event and search:
- The Options panel should now be visible. Click the link at the bottom labled Maintain Group Calendars:
- Look for the calendar named FYE Calendar (its Calendar ID is GRP1203), and click the button labeled add/edit/delete events next to the calendar's label:
Be Sure to Choose the Correct Calendar!
There are two FYE calendars. You should consider the FYE Calendar as your production calendar. This is the calendar where you will add, edit, and delete events. The second calendar, called First Year Experience IUB (Group ID: GRP1467), is your public calendar. You should not add or otherwise edit events in this calendar. This documentation will cover how to copy events to the public calendar later in the process.
If you should accidentally choose the First Year Experience IUB calendar instead of the FYE Calendar when adding an event, you will need to log out of OneStart, close your browser window and restart the process.
- You should now see the calendar panel for the FYE Calendar. Navigate through the calendar until you find the date of the event you wish to add. Click the Add Event icon (
) in the upper right corner of the date:
- The Event panel should now appear. On the Event tab, enter the title of the event you are adding in the field labeled Event Title:
- If the event is an all day event, click the checkbox labeled All Day Event. Otherwise, use the drop-down menus to select both a Start Date (and time) and an End Date (and time). All dates and times are required for non-all day events:
- You may enter the location of the event manually by typing the location in the field labeled Location. However, if you would like to take advantage of the built-in mapping features of OneStart calendars, click the button labeled map it:
- You can find the location of your event one of two ways. You can use the first method only for buildings on one of the IU campuses. Click the tab labeled Select A Building. Then, select the Campus and then the Building from the respective drop-down menus:
- Alternatively, if you cannot find the building in the drop-down menus or if the location is off campus, you can click the tab labeled Search for an Address, enter the address in the textbox, and click the Search button:
- A newly added feature of OneStart calendars gives you the ability to identify the associated
- To complete the location process, click the OK button at the bottom of the Choose a location dialogue window:
- Back on the Event panel, describe your event in the field labeled Description. This field is required:
- Optionally, you may add an image with your event announcement. To do so, click the button labeled Set Image:
- You should now see a dialogue window labeled Select an image. Click the Browse ... button to select the image you wish to use from your computer. Since the image displayed in calendar events uses a predefined image ratio, use the size tool to select the portion of your image to display and then click the OK button:
- Back on the Event panel, below the Image, add a value for the Contact Email (required). Add the remaining values for Contact, Cost, More Contact Info, Other Info, and Url as needed:
Don't Save Event Yet!
Be careful not to click the save button or the save & create new button yet. There are still additional steps required to copy your event to the public calendar.
- Earlier, this documentation article discussed the difference between the production calendar and the public calendar. Now that you have successfully created an event on your production calendar, you will need to add the event to the FYE public calendar (named First Year Experience IUB in OneStart). To do so, first click the Calendars tab:
- In the column labeled Available Calendars:, look for the calendar labeled First Year Experience IUB, and select it. Then, click the right-pointing arrow in the middle to move the calendar to the column labeled Add To::
- One of the biggest advantages of using OneStart calendars gives you the ability to copy your event to campus-wide calendars for greater distribution and viewability. Most campuses will have shared "All Events" calendars or categorized shared calendars, such as those for all workshops on each campus. If you wish, use the Control (CTRL) key on your keyboard to select multiple shared campus calendars in the Available Calendars column and then click the right-pointing arrow in the middle to move those calendars to the column labeled Add To:
- To finish adding your event, click the Save button at the bottom of the Event panel:
Removing Calendar Events Permanently
- If you wish to remove an event from your calendar, first login to Steps one through four in the section above.
- In the calendar viewer, navigate to the date of your event. Click the link that represents your event to open it:
- You should now see a panel labeled Now Editing: FYE Calendar showing your event's details. Click the button labeled delete at the bottom of the panel:
- If you copied your event to campus calendars, in addition to your public calendar, select the button labeled delete from all calendars. IMPORTANT NOTE: Clicking the delete from all calendars button is a permanent action. There is no confirmation screen once you click the button:
- If you did not copy your event to campus calendars, select the button labeled delete.
- You should see the following confirmation screen when you successfully delete an event: