We commonly set up IU group email Exchange accounts of the form firstname.lastname@example.org and grant access to the shared email inbox using an ADS security group. In order for you to get access to the shared inbox, you only need to be a member of the associated ADS group which you can request via the SoIC Help Desk. Once you have the proper access, you can then access the email account using either Outlook or the Outlook Web App (OWA) as described in the sections below.
In order for either of these methods to work, you must first have a personal IU Exchange email account. All IU faculty and staff will almost certainly have this required account. However, students may or may not have this account, depending on their status. If you are not sure if you have this account, please take the following steps:
- Try to log in using your IU username on the OWA site. If you are able to log in there, you are all set! If not, then go to the next step
- Since you don't have an Exchange account, you should try and create one. Just go to one.iu.edu and log in. Once logged in, search for and run the 'Create Additional Accounts' app. If you have the option to create a Microsoft Exchange account there, then go ahead and do that and, once created, you should be ready to go. One word of caution. You need to take care that you don't miss email once you have the Exchange account so see this KB page for information: Creating an Account and Forwarding Email in Exchange
- If you can't log into the OWA site and you don't have the option to create an Exchange account then you will need to submit a request for an account via the SoIC Help Desk. In your request, please indicate which SoIC group email account you will need to access and that you don't have the option of creating your personal Exchange account. We will coordinate with UITS to get your account created.
Once you have the Exchange account then you can proceed to the following sections.
If you currently use Microsoft Outlook to read your email, this is likely to be the most convenient option. If you do not use Outlook, then see the OWA section below (which is what most students are likely to use).
To grant access to the group account email in Outlook, do the following:
- From Outlook, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings
- Click the primary IU account and click Change
- From there go to More Settings > Advanced > Add > Enter the account name > OK
- The account name should appear in the "Open these additional mailboxes" box. If that looks correct, click Apply and then OK.
Once the group account is added, it should show up like any other email account in Outlook. However, there are a couple caveats:
- Sent/Deleted Folders - By default, when you send email as this group account or delete email from the account, those messages will go into the Sent Items or Deleted Items of your personal email account and NOT for the group account. I many cases, you will want these messages to end up in the corresponding folders for the group account so other account users can see them. If you need this functionality, please just let us know by submitting a help desk request via the SoIC Help Desk. Do note that once this change is made on your computer for one group account, it applies to all other group accounts you may add.
- Drafts Folder - When you are composing a message from this group account, the message will be temporarily saved in your personal Drafts folder and not the Drafts folder in the group account. As a result, this message will not be accessible by other users of this group account. In the vast majority of cases this is not a problem but if this is problematic and you need the account to use the shared Drafts folder for the group account, please submit a help desk request via the SoIC Help Desk. In this case, the account has to be added to Outlook in an entirely different way and we can help with that.
Outlook Web App (OWA) Access
You can also use the Outlook Web App (OWA) to access group account email as follows:
- Log into OWA using your normal IU username and passphrase
- Click on your name (near the upper right corner) to expand the menu
- Click on Open Another Mailbox...
- Enter the group account username and then click Open. Once you are using this group email, any messages you send will be sent from this group account.
- You can return to your own inbox by repeating these steps and entering your username.