As a member of the IU Faculty or Staff, you can sponsor accounts for your research collaborators. This account will give your collaborator an IU ADS account (which can be used to authenticate when logging into the SICE Linux or Windows systems and give access to the IU VPN and IU Secure wireless) as well as an IU email address. There are two different ways you can sponsor an account, an Academic No-Pay appointment or an Affiliate account and the method you chose will depend on the situation:
- Future Faculty/Staff/Student - If the collaborator will be joining IU in an official capacity (eg. future faculty or student) and requires access in advance of their start date, then you have to get an Academic No-Pay appointment. Please note that we do not normally get such appointments for incoming students so this should only be done in unusual circumstances.
- Past Faculty/Staff/Student - If the collaborator was previously at IU (such as ex-faculty or graduated student), then you have to get an Academic No-Pay appointment.
- No IU Affiliation - If the collaborator has not previously been at IU and is not expected to join IU in any official capacity, then you can request an Affiliate account. However, affiliate accounts for research collaboration are generally not approved for longer than 1 year and typically cannot be renewed. If you need the account for longer than 1 year then you will probably have to go with the Academic No-Pay appointment. However, if you only need a local SICE Linux account beyond 1 year, go ahead and get the Affiliate account for 1 year and then we can keep the Linux account active beyond 1 year once the account is in the IU system.
The procedure for obtaining either Academic No-Pay or Affiliate accounts is described in the following sections.
Academic No-Pay Appointments
Academic No-Pay appointments are handled by the Human Resources (HR) representative for your unit who can be reached by emailing email@example.com. If the person is already in the IU system from a previous appointment or was previously faculty/staff/student then the only information needed is the name, IU username, and the current physical work location (city, state, country). If the person has never had an IU appointment then they will need to complete the Personal Profile Form (ED) available from the IU HR Personal Profile Form page and submit it to the appropriate HR representative for the unit.
Note that Affiliate Accounts for research collaboration are sometimes not approved for longer than 1 year and typically cannot be renewed. If you need the official IU account for longer than 1 year then you will probably have to go with the Academic No-Pay appointment. However, if you only need a local SICE Linux account beyond 1 year, go ahead and get the Affiliate account for 1 year and then we can keep the Linux account active beyond 1 year once the account is in the IU system. However, if you need access to other IU services (including the IU VPN) then that will go away after the initial 1 year so an Academic No-Pay appointment will still be required.
The Affiliate account creation process is described below but there are additional details available in the UITS KB page About sponsoring a computing account for an IU affiliate.
Before you can request an affiliate account, you will need to know the following information:
- Full name (first, middle, and last)
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Email address
Once you have this information, you can request an IU Affiliate account as follows:
- Go to the Account Management Service.
- Select .
- Click , and then click .
- You will then just need to fill out the form with the required information. Here are some notes about the requested information:
- University ID - You can leave this blank.
- Campus Address - You can just enter your campus address (eg. Lindley Hall 215)
- Affiliation with IU - If this person is collaborating with you but is not being paid, we recommend that you use Non-paid Research Associate
- Date this Affiliation with IU begins - Enter either today's date or some future date the affiliation will begin. Do not enter a date prior to the date you are filling out the form.
- Date this Affiliation with IU expires - Affiliate accounts for research collaboration are generally not approved for longer than 1 year so you will probably want to list an expiration date less than 1 year in the future.
Reason for affiliation with IU - The account can be rejected by UITS if the reason does not meet their requirements. However, below is an example of a reason for the affiliation that we have had success with:
Collaboration on [brief project information here]. Access to grant-purchased systems is needed and requires authentication against IU ADS servers. Furthermore, access to other IU systems such as IU GitHub require an IU network ID.
- Once you have filled in this form, just click Request Affiliate.
I most cases, affiliate accounts are approved within a day. Once approved, your affiliate will receive information on how they can then create their IU account.
If your request is denied by UITS for any reason, then you will need to go with the Academic No-Pay appointment described above.
If you have any problems or questions about this, please contact the SICE Help Desk.