It is important that you take care to configure your iPad to be secure, and in compliance with Indiana University Mobile Device Security Standards. Following these policies are required if you are using this device to access data on the IU network, regardless of ownership of the iPad. So if you have recently received or purchased an iPad, and will be using it to access data on the IU network, please follow the directions below for proper setup, and registration. Once registered, it will be possible to remotely lock or wipe the iPad should it be lost or stolen. (If you have already setup an iPad, and wish to register it with this service, the iPad must be reset to factory default settings, and setup again following these instructions).
Notice: If you wish to do the following yourself, the iPad must first be registered with the Casper service. In order for it to be registered, you will need to supply the SoIC IT support group with the serial number of the iPad, and we will get that serial number to the Casper admins, and it they will register the iPad with the Casper service.
These instructions are to help you setup this new iPad for use at Indiana University, and ensure that you are in compliance with security policy IT-12.1*. Please follow them, and you’ll have the iPad setup quickly. Please do not plug the iPad into your computer, or log into an Apple account until you have completed the following.
1. Turn on the iPad, and slide to setup. Choose language and country. The iPad will then almost immediately find our wireless networks.
A. Please choose IU Secure, and authenticate with your IU Network credentials.
B. If you get a message, ‘Could not scan for wireless networks’, Dismiss it.
C. You will see a certificate, ‘net-aut-1.noc.iu.edu’. Accept it by touching ‘Trust’ in upper right corner of the screen. Wait a few seconds, and then touch ‘Next’.
D. At the Apps & Data screen, select, ‘Set Up as New iPad’. Do Not restore this iPad from an iCloud account, or from an iTunes back-up.
2. Enable ‘Location Services’, if the choice is presented. Otherwise, continue to the next step.
3. You will see the message, ‘Indiana University will configure your iPad’. Touch ‘Next’.
4. You will be required to login to Indiana University. Please do so with your IU Network credentials.
5. After a few seconds, the configuration will be finished. Touch ‘Get Started’.
6. After a short while, you will get a message saying you have to create a passcode. Look towards the bottom of the screen, and touch ‘Passcode Options’. Select ‘Custom Numeric Code’ to use numbers only for your passcode. Select ‘Custom Alphanumeric Code’ to use numbers and letters for your passcode. For either choice, the passcode must be six characters long. Please create your passcode, and you are now ready to use the iPad.
If you have any questions, or need assistance, please post a request to the SoIC Helpdesk: https://help.soic.indiana.edu/request/
* If you have questions about security policy IT-12.1, please see: https://protect.iu.edu/online-safety/policies/it121.html