This page describes the web hosting options available to members of the Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering. The services presented here include IU/UITS offerings available to all members of the IU community as well as those provided by the Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering for use by members of our school.
For a simple research group or other project site, we highly recommend using the IU Web Framework hosted on the IU Sitehosting systems. This provides a simple way to get a site up quickly that is fully compliant with all IU web site guidelines and branding requirements. Furthermore, as IU guidelines change your site will automatically remain compliant with the ever-evolving guidelines.
There are also provisions for personal homepages as well as other options for project, course, and research group pages. You can create your own homepage using several of the web hosting options described below using the Homepage Management Page. Please contact the Luddy systems staff if you need help setting up any of these options. In your request, please include the URL and hosting option you prefer.
Hosting Options Matrix
There are a lot of web hosting options at your disposal, including Luddy, IU/UITS, and non-IU options. The table below attempts to summarize the available options and give the highlights of the advantages and disadvantages of each service. Note that some are appropriate for what are commonly called personal homepages and some are geared toward non-personal Luddy School and/or research group pages.
Contact the ISP managing the desired service. There are literally thousands of web hosting options out there supporting wordpress, drupal, joomla, php, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails, etc.
Once you have a non-IU web page, you can register it so you also have a http://homes.sice.indiana.edu/username url via the Homepage Management Page
|IU Blogs||Blog||UITS||Getting Started with IU Blogs|
|IU Pages||Personal Homepages||UITS||At IU, what is Pages and how can I publish a web page here?|
|IU Sitehosting||Research and Project Pages||UITS|
|IU Windows Hosting Environment (WHE)||Research and Project Pages||UITS||Windows Hosting Environment (WHE) Quick Start Guide|
|IU Enterprise Confluence||Research and Project Pages||UITS||What is the IU Enterprise Confluence?|
|SICE CGI/PHP Server (for Homepages)||Personal Homepages||Luddy|
This service has been deprecated and is not available for new users. Please see the IU Blogs Wordpress service listed above.
|Luddy Course Homepages and Syllabus Hosting||Course Homepages and Syllabus Uploads||Luddy||How do I upload information about classes I'm teaching?|
|Wordpress Hosting||Research and Project Pages||Luddy|
|Luddy CGI/PHP Server (for project pages)||Research and Project Pages||Luddy|
|Dedicated Virtual Machines||Various||Research and Project Pages||Luddy||Virtual Machine Policy|
|Dedicated Research Servers||Various||Research and Project Pages||Luddy||How do I ask for help with a Luddy School technology or facilities issue?|
URL/Domain Naming Convention Notes
URLs will include a domain name that will fall under one of several jurisdictions. For example, Luddy controls the luddy.indiana.edu domain so we can assign domains names of the form projectname.luddy.indiana.edu. Here are the common domains you are likely to want to use and some considerations and rules regarding each.
- luddy.indiana.edu -This domain is controlled by the Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering so getting domain names of the form something.luddy.indiana.edu is a relatively simple matter. As noted in the matrix above, we can host sites in this domain using a number of different hosting services within IU.
- cs.indiana.edu/ils.indiana.edu/informatics.indiana.edu/engineering.indiana.edu - These domains are also controlled by the Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering and URLs using these domains only require approval by the head of the corresponding division. Using the luddy.indiana.edu domain is preferred for uniform school branding.
- indiana.edu - Sites within the top level indiana.edu domain (as opposed to the luddy.indiana.edu domain) are reserved for projects that span multiple schools, departments, or organizations on the Bloomington campus. A project that exists completely within the Luddy School will normally be created within the luddy.indiana.edu domain. To request a domain within indiana.edu, the sponsoring faculty member must write a short justification describing the inter-unit nature of the project. We will submit this to UITS for approval.
- iu.edu - Sites within the top level iu.edu domain are reserved for projects that span multiple IU campuses. A project that exists completely within the Luddy School will normally be created within the luddy.indiana.edu domain and projects that span multiple units on the Bloomington campus will normally be created within the indiana.edu domain. To request a domain within iu.edu, the sponsoring faculty member must write a short justification describing the inter-campus nature of the project. We will submit this to UITS for approval.
- .org - The .org namespace is not controlled by IU so you are free to get names within the .org domain using non-IU hosting services. However, if you want to set up a .org and have the DNS and/or web pages hosted at IU then you have to get approval from IU Communications as detailed in the UITS KB page At IU, what are the DNS policies?
- .com and other commercial domains - The hosting of commercial domains (eg. .com) at IU is generally not permitted but there are always exceptions. For more information, see the UITS KB page At IU, what are the DNS policies?