Welcome to the School of Informatics and Computing! The IT and Facilities teams at the School would like to do as much as possible to ease your transition. The School is fortunate to have professional staff with years of experience in a breadth of technical disciplines. In addition, we have professional staff trained in classroom, conference room, and facilities support. We understand that it is It is easy to get overwhelmed when coming into a new environment. Summarized , with the goal of easing the on-boarding process, summarized below are some key resources that you will need for your work here.
At SoIC, help is quickly and easily available! Whether you need help with technology, facilities, purchasing, website, travel, or a general question, the SoIC Service Desk is here to help. Simply complete this Service Request form or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You are also welcome to stop by at either Informatics West room 204 or Lindley Hall room 428 which are staffed from 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday. No matter which option you choose, we're here to help!
Take a few moments to browse the SoIC Knowledge Base (KB) take a look at the sections entitled Top Questions and Quick Links to better understand the information hosted in this intranet SoIC portal. For quick and convenient access to SoIC KB, a link entitled 'intranet' is in the bottom right corner of every page on the SoIC website.
Your initial computing account at IU will be created through University Information Technology Services (UITS) account creation interface: https://itaccounts.iu.edu. There is a very good reference in the UITS Knowledge Base that describes the process: http://kb.iu.edu/data/achn.html. This interface allows users to create accounts on a variety of University systems. If you are having problems with your accounts take a look at this SoIC Knowledge Base article on troubleshooting the issue: Account and Email Problem Debugging Flowchart.
Building access in this facility uses your IU ID card. To learn more about ID cards see Campus Card Services. After getting your new ID card, take it to Lindley Hall 215 to have it entered into the building system. In addition to your card, you will need to provide your ID number. You will have 24-hour access to the building as well as several computer labs, conference rooms, and the kitchen. You may request additional access as needed (research group labs, office suite where you are assigned, etc). You may also receive a set of keys for offices.
If you lose your card, please report it immediately to Lynne in LH215.
Informatics East & West
Simply complete this Service Request form or send an email to email@example.com and ask for a building access card. Include your name and IU username (your IU email address). You'll receive 24-hour access to the buildings, plus access to classrooms, meeting/conference rooms, and computer labs (West 109 is a general-use and classroom lab and West 010 is a graduate student lab). If you need access beyond these areas (your office, the lab you work in, etc) please include this information in your request. When your request is completed and your card is ready, you will receive an email instructing you to pick up your new card from West 204.
To obtain Building access to this facility send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
University Information Technology Service (UITS)
- New to technology at IU?
- What is UITS? What do they do?
- Free / discounted software IUanyWare - IUware
- IU IT policies
- UITS Knowledge Base
School of Informatics and Computing Infrastructure and Technology Group (ITG)
Our ITG team of professionals has years of experience in a broad spectrum of technology disciplines. If you have technology needs pertaining to your research or teaching and would like to discuss specifics with a senior technology staff member, simply complete this Service Request form or send an email to email@example.com and a team member will contact you. The SoIC ITG team is known campus-wide for excellence in support to staff and faculty.
Take a look at the Top Questions asked of the SoIC IT Team.
- For help with business cards, press releases for research, or questions about communications in general, contact Kelsey Keag - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Need to create a website? See the web hosting options available.
- Would like to add to or suggest edits to the SoIC main website? Simply complete this Service Request form or send an email to email@example.com
- Sally Deckard - SoIC Director of Academic Operations
- How do I upload information about classes I am teaching?
- Canvas - learning management system supported by IU. Users can also access Canvas through OneStart.
- Linux infrastructure is also available for teaching: What Linux systems are available?
- Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning
- FERPA Training and Student Record Information
- Cindy Curvin - SoIC Director of Grant and Contract Managment
What Linux systems are available? https://uisapp2.iu.edu/confluence-prd/x/pwDTBg
- Research Gateway
- My Research Administration Dashboard
- SoIC Research
- For ALL IT and Facilities related purchases for grant funded projects, faculty startup accounts and staff technical needs, always complete this Service Request form or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please do not purchase items with your personal funds! It is IU policy that we use approved IU vendors, and taxes you paid will not be reimbursed.
- In order to be compliant with all IU Purchasing policies - the IT team has staff with authorized purchasing authority who work closely with central IU Purchasing staff to take advantage of negotiated vendor contracts, educational discounts, and IU tax free status.
- Financial management policies - Important policies regarding purchasing goods and services
Payroll, benefits and more
- OneStart - This IU Portal is your resource for many online services such as timekeeping, benefit information, PTO, finances, travel, and policies.
- Policies and Procedures
- Please be considerate and make sure doors are closed and locked if you are the last person to leave a lab or office area. If you are working late at night, we recommend that doors not be kept open.
- Fire drills are conducted occasionally. If the fire alarm is activated, please evacuate the building immediately, closing doors as you leave. Floor wardens will direct you to the designated evacuation area, where you should wait for permission to re-enter the building. If you need to leave (to go to a class, for example) be sure to tell one of the floor wardens before you go.
- The campus uses a system of outdoor sirens to warn of severe weather (tornado, or cyclone). A continuous tone indicates a tornado warning, meaning that you should move to an interior room on a lower floor, away from windows and exterior doors. These sirens are tested at noon on the first Friday of each month. You should also sign up for emergency notifications via personal media.
News and Events
Stay informed about what is happening at the school through the www.soic.indiana.edu homepage, master calendar of events, and our social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, YouTube.
SoIC Knowledge Base
SoIC Help Request Form
IU Knowledge Base
|SoIC Organizational Charts|
will be of assistance. The school is fortunate to have staff with years of experience to assist you.
- New Faculty Checklist (July 23, 2018)
- Faculty and Staff Handbook (April 30, 2019)
- Policies and Guidelines for Faculty and Staff
- SICE Organization Chart
Things to do
Create a profile on our SICE website:
- We would like to add you to our SICE website people directory found here: https://sice.indiana.edu/contact/people-directory.html?
- To create a web profile, follow this link and the directions under ‘Adding a New Profile Page’ https://uisapp2.iu.edu/confluence-prd/x/H4ByBQ
- You can either upload a favorite photo, or our staff photographer is happy to take your picture for the website. Once you complete the information, a staff member will contact you when your profile is online.
Explore SICE Knowledge Base (KB)
- Search our KB for questions related to school policies, guidelines, how to schedule a meeting room, and much more! SICE KB .
- SICE Account Security Recommendations https://uisapp2.iu.edu/confluence-prd/x/NwLyF
- Need help? Send an email to email@example.com or complete a Service Request, a link to which can be found in the footer of the SICE website - http://www.sice.indiana.edu/
Things to know
Your role in data stewardship
- All at IU must be vigilant guardians of data security. Learn how IU classifies data https://datamanagement.iu.edu/types-of-data/classifications.php
- Learn how to store and share IU data - explore IU’s Data Sharing and Handling Tool https://datamanagement.iu.edu/tools/data-storage-and-handling.php Select a data domain from the pull-down and the tool will guide you to the best practice for storing and sending data.
- Be aware of phishing scams https://phishing.iu.edu/
Get started with IT at IU
- University IT Services (UITS) Getting Started Guide: https://uits.iu.edu/facultyguide
One.IU - a portal for everything
- One.IU is the access portal to most IU services like payroll, benefits, and classified ads: https://one.iu.edu/ sign-in and start searching for more information!