- Go to the Outlook web interface at https://mail.iu.edu/. If you get an error (see note above) please wait and try later.
- Near the upper right corner, click the Settings icon (looks like a gear) and select Options from the menu.
- On the left menu, select organize email.
- Under Inbox Rules, click New (the + icon) and select 'create a new rule for arriving messages...'
- Under Name, give this rule a meaningful name (like "Forward all messages to gmail")
- Under "When the message arrives, and:", use the drop-down menu to select [Apply to all messages].
- Under "Do the following:", use the drop-down menu to select Redirect the message to...
An addressbook window will pop up. Go to the top of that window and in the "To" field, enter the address to which you want to forward your email, and then click OK. Please note that you should NOT use an address of the form firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com here. If you have your @indiana.edu or @iu.edu address forwarded to some other location, enter that target address (eg. firstname.lastname@example.org) explicitly here and not email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that it might be against IU policy for faculty, staff, and student employees to forward their IU email to mail systems outside of IU (such as gmail/umail, yahoo, personal email server, etc). Faculty and staff (including students working as AIs/UIs per About email for graduate SAAs and Student use of email for work-related purposes) receive email to their IU account that may include sensitive data (including, but not limited to, FERPA-protected communications with students). The only qualified email system for such potentially sensitive data is the Exchange system. Other non-IU mail systems (such as gmail/umail) are not an IU-approved place to receive sensitive data. In order to be completely in compliance with IU policy, our recommendation is that faculty and staff , staff, and student employees who are Associate Instructors forward all IU email to an Exchange account and not forward it to unapproved non-IU email systems (including gmail/umail).
- Click on 'More Options..."
- Click the 'Add Action' button and select 'Move, copy, or Delete' -> 'Move the message to folder', and select the Junk E-Mail folder. If you don't delete messages after forwarding they will accumulate on the Exchange server and you will eventually hit your disk quota and email may bounce. When you move a message to the Junk E-Mail folder it will be automatically deleted after 5 days.
- In the New Inbox Rule window, click Save.
- If asked if you want to apply this rule to all future messages, click Yes