- Supervisors and employees should follow the UHRS overtime policy http://hr.iu.edu/policies/uwide/overtime.html.
- Employees must seek prior approval from their supervisor for working overtime.
- Employees consistently requesting to work overtime can be a sign of overload and/or bad workflow management. The supervisor should, where possible, try to address the cause of the overload and correct it.
- As a general rule, overtime will be compensated as compensatory (comp) time.
- Supervisors may seek approval from the Sr. Director of Administration and Finance to have overtime paid, instead of comp time.
- Reasons for considering the payment of overtime include, but are not limited to:
i. The employee is reaching the maximum accumulated allowable amount of compensatory has reached 40 hours of comp time.
ii. Financial hardship of the employee. An example could be the employee has to pay for child care to be at work for the extra work time.