- All proposed new positions and reclassifications need to be approved by the Sr. Director for Administration and Finance (SDAF). The SDAF will Director of HR. The Dir. of HR will work with the appropriate school and faculty administrators to seek approval for all new positions and reclassifications.
- The HR Director can The Dir. of HR can assist supervisors by obtaining position descriptions, of similar positions to that under consideration, from other organizations at IU. This can sometimes save time and give supervisors insight into how other organizations use positions.
- The UHRS on-line Position Description form should be used to document the duties.
- Please feel free to ask the SDAF and Dir. of HR Manager if you have any questions.
- Understanding what UHRS looks for when they classify a position:
- The majority of the duties (>50%) must be at the level of job that it will be classified as. For example, if an IT position is 55% Development and Programming (level 3 work) with 45% desktop support (level 2 work) then the job will be classified as level 3.
- This rule also applies to whether a position is exempt or non-exempt. The FLSA has defined rules for what duties are exempt and what are non-exempt. It is important to remember these rules are designed to protect employees and UHRS will often err on the side of caution to protect the employee and the university.
- It can helpful to break down duties by skills applied, rather than by activity. For example, if duties are listed as:
Now UHRS can easily see how the job breaks down between different skills being applied to the duty. The SDAF and HR Manager The Dir. of HR (working with UHRS) can assist with identifying skills that fall in different job levels, and therefore need to be broken out separately.
The supervisor is responsible for correctly reporting an employee’s duties and responsibilities on the position description. The SDAF and HR Manager are responsible The Dir of HR is responsible for working with UHRS to provide any additional information they require to classify a position.