- Supervisors and employees should always follow the UHRS Flextime and Work from Home policies:
Working from home –
- Occasional working from home should always be preapproved by the supervisor.
- Long term work from home arrangements need a written agreement, approved by the supervisor and SDAF.
- Many positions are not suitable for work from home arrangements. These include positions that benefit from face to face interactions. Basically, working from home needs to be as productive, efficient and as customer friendly as working from an IU location.
- Dependent care arrangements need to be discussed and addressed.
- The employee should have strong performance evaluations, and a proven ability to work independently. For this reason, brand new hires may not initially be eligible, until they have a proven track record of strong job performance.
- Occasional flex time should always be preapproved by the supervisor.
- Long term flextime arrangements need to be approved by the supervisor and SDAF.
- As with working from home, some positions may not be suitable for flextime, especially those where faculty, staff, students, and others expect to be able to reach someone for assistance during normal business hours (8am to 5pm).
- SoIC generally does support the modified work schedules below, with supervisor approval:
- Four 10 hour days
- Four 9 hour days + a half day (4 hours)
- Starting early -leaving early, or starting late - leaving late
- Taking a long lunch break to work out or take care of other responsibilities, with the time being made up, normally the same day.
- Other reasonable schedules as requested
- SoIC generally does not support a “straight 8” work schedule. Employees should take at least a 30 minute lunch break.
- The employee should have strong performance evaluations and a proven ability to work independently (since they may be at work when their supervisor is not there). For this reason, brand new hires may not initially be eligible until they have a proven track record of strong job performance.
Employees and supervisors are responsible for ensuring all IU UHRS policies and SoIC SICE guidelines are followed.