Most modern mail clients have support for Identites Identities or alternate Accounts but how these are managed is mailer-specific. Below is information on how to use this feature using several common mail clients.
Once you have the identity configured, using it is quite simple. When you compose a message like you normally would, you can select this new identity from the pull-down menu in the From: field while you are in the Compose editor.
Sending email From your IU address using Gmail can only be done by storing your IU passphrase on the Gmail system. This is a violation of IU policy and there are reports that this fails with errors like "not authorized to use this service". These errors seem to be intermittent but using this method is not reliable. So, you should NOT use this method but we have kept it here for reference since it may be useful for setting up this feature for other non-IU accounts you may have.
This feature can be configured in Gmail as follows:
- Log into gmail (or umail) and click on "Options> Settings". Options is the little gear near the upper right corner.
- From the Setting page, click on "Accounts and Import"
- In the "Send mail as" section, click on "Add another email address you own"
- Fill in the Name and Email address
- You can leave 'Treat as an alias' checked but click 'Learn more' to see the details.
- If you are setting this up for an IU email address, we recommend you use the IU SMTP server as follows:
- SMTP Server: mail-relay.iu.edu, Port: 465
- Username: your IU username (without the @indiana.edu or @iu.edu)
- Password: Your IU passphrase
- Secured connection using: SSL
- Click "Add Account". This will send a verification email to this address. Once you receive that email, just click on the verification link to confirm that you actually own the email address you are using.
Once you have the identity configured, using it is quite simple. When you compose a message like you normally would, you can select this new identity from the pull-down menu in the From: field while you are in the Compose editor. You can also make this address the default by selecting 'make default' from the Send mail as: settings page.
If you have a umail.iu.edu email address and are setting this up so you can post to listservs where you are subscribed using your @indiana.edu address, then we recommend that you set up an @indiana.edu identity and use that as your default identity so all email you send goes out using your @indiana.edu address.
It is important to note that when using this feature in gmail, the outgoing messages may still contain a 'Sender' header that includes your real gmail /umail email address if you are not using the IU SMTP server (as recommended above). So, you should take care when using this feature to be sure your real gmail address is not inadvertently exposed.