Once you have the Exchange account then you can proceed to the following sections.
Outlook Access (Windows)
If you currently use Microsoft Outlook to read your email, this is likely to be the most convenient option. See the next section if you are using Outlook on a Mac instead of Windows. If you do not use Outlook, then see the OWA section below (which is what most students are likely to use).
To grant get access to the group account email in Outlook in Windows, do the following:
- From Outlook, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings
- Click the primary IU account and click Change
- From there go to More Settings > Advanced > Add > Enter the account name > OK
- The account name should appear in the "Open these additional mailboxes" box. If that looks correct, click Apply and then OK.
- Sent/Deleted Folders - By default, when you send email as this group account or delete email from the account, those messages will go into the Sent Items or Deleted Items of your personal email account and NOT for the group account. I many cases, you will want these messages to end up in the corresponding folders for the group account so other account users can see them. If you need this functionality, please just let us know by submitting a help desk request via the SoIC Help Desk. Do note that once this change is made on your computer for one group account, it applies to all other group accounts you may add.
- Drafts Folder - When you are composing a message from this group account, the message will be temporarily saved in your personal Drafts folder and not the Drafts folder in the group account. As a result, this message will not be accessible by other users of this group account. In the vast majority of cases this is not a problem but if this is problematic and you need the account to use the shared Drafts folder for the group account, please submit a help desk request via the SoIC Help Desk. In this case, the account has to be added to Outlook in an entirely different way and we can help with that.
Outlook Access (Mac)
To get access to the group account email in Outlook on a Mac, do the following:
- From the Outlook menu select Preferences
- Click on the Accounts icon
- Click on your primary IU email account (if not already selected) and click Advanced
- Click the Delegates tab
- Under People I am a delegate for click the '+' icon
- Enter the IU username (without the @indiana.edu) and click Add
Once the group account is added, it should show up like any other email account in Outlook.
Outlook Web App (OWA) Access
You can also use the Outlook Web App (OWA) to access group account email as follows: