- Create Sitehost Account - Go to https://webtech.uits.iu.edu/, click on Manage Your Sitehost Account, and click on the Account Details link for your group account. From there, click on Request Sitehost Account, set the Purpose at the bottom of the agreement page, and click Request. Once you get word the account is active, you can proceed.
- Tar Up Webserve Files - You can tar up the files from Webserve as follows:
ssh firstname.lastname@example.org - you will need to log in using the passphrase of the group account
- tar up the files by running "tar cpf www.tar -C www ." - This assumes your content is in the www directory but it may be in wwws instead.
- Log Into Sitehost - Log into sitehost as yourself with: ssh ssh.sitehost.iu.edu
- Become The Group Account - Once logged into sitehost, you need to "become" the group account by running "become mygroup" which will prompt for your normal IU passphrase (not the group account passphrase)
- Transfer Files From Webserve - Once you have "become" your group account, you can transfer the tar file over that you created in step 2 and untar it with:
Please see the below See the File Uploads section below for more information about transferring files to Sitehost.Transfer Files From Webserve - Once details but once you have "become" your group account, you can transfer the tar file over that you created in step 2 and untar it with:
Please see the below File Uploads section for more information about transferring files to Sitehost.
- scp webserve.iu.edu:www.tar .
- cd web
- tar xf ../www.tar
- Check For .htaccess – If you have a .htaccess file in the root of your site, give it a look and make sure it looks okay. If you have rewrites there that will conflict with the new location of the site, remove or edit those.
- Test The Site - The new url for your site will be http://mygroup.sitehost.iu.edu/ (where you will obviously replace mygroup with your group name). Sadly, the ~username url that you may have previously been using will not carry over to the new system so that URL must be abandoned. But, you can set up an arbitrary virtual host domain (or transfer an existing one) per the next section.
- Transfer Virtual Host - If you have a virtual host/domain set up for your site (eg. mysite.indiana.edu, mysite.sice.indiana.edu, etc), you will need to request that this be transferred over or you can request a new one. To do that, just go to https://webtech.uits.iu.edu/, and click on the Account Details link for your group account. From there, click on View Virtual Hosts and then click on Request a New Virtual Host, fill in the form, and click Request. Just note that virtual hosts take a while to create and transfer so don't be surprised if this process takes longer than a week.
- Grant Other Users Access - If there are other uses who need to be able to manage the site, you can add them. Just go to https://webtech.uits.iu.edu/, and click on the Account Details link for your group account. From there, click on Account Details link for your group account and then Manage Access. From there, you can add various levels of access for other IU users. Once another user has access, they will then be able to ssh into ssh.sitehost.iu.edu and run "become mygroup" as you do to manage the site. Just keep in mind that you won't be able to add a user until they have logged into the system for the first time. So, have them first go to https://webtech.uits.iu.edu/ and click on Manage Your Sitehost Account. If they have never logged in and you try to add them, you will get a rather non-intuitive error "invalid username".
- Using SSH Keys - If you want to use an ssh key for ssh access to ssh.sitehost.iu.edu then you can do that per the KB page Generate and use SSH keys with IU Sitehosting. Note that even when using ssh keys you will still need to use DUO 2-factor authentication to log in and you still need to run "become mygroup" and enter your passphrase there so using ssh keys is not as seamless as you may have hoped.