If you need to add a non-IU guest to your canvas class site, you can do that as follows:
- The guest first goes to https://canvas.iu.edu/ and clicks on the 'Create one now' link right under the Log-in button. The direct link is:
They will fill in the form using their non-IU email address and pick a password.
- An email will be sent to the guest with a link and activation code they must then activate their guest account.
- The guest then goes to https://canvas.iu.edu/ and logs in using their non-IU email as their username and the password they selected when they created their guest account. You will NOT be able to add them until they have logged into canvas for the first time.
- Once the guest account is created AND they have logged in for the first time, you can go into Canvas > Add People and add the guest using their non-IU username. You can select the appropriate Role: when you add them, depending on their needs. If you get an error adding them that either means 1) you have the wrong email address, 2) the guest hasn't not yet created and activated their guest account, or 3) the guest has not logged into canvas for the first time. All 3 of these conditions must be met before you can add them.
- Once you add them to the course, the guest should see the course with the given role you specified (observer, student, etc).